Flexible solutions for a greener future.
A growing population. Expanding city skylines. Fast-changing technology. Shifting production patterns. All around us is evidence of the need to stay nimble in the quest for a greener future for the communities we live, work and play in.
At Wasteco, we offer a variety of educational services to help you understand and reduce your waste and ultimately your costs. By engaging with our customers, Wasteco impacts the amount of material that gets diverted from landfill and contributes toward building a circular economy. A circular economy is one in which resources are kept in use for as long as possible, extracting the maximum value from them whilst in use, then recover and regenerate products and materials at the end of each service life.
In recognition of our proactive communication and support with our customers’ waste reduction programs, Wasteco is honoured to have been awarded multiple Platinum and Gold Awards by the Recycling Council of Ontario. To learn more about our company’s commitment to social responsibility, click here for our policy statement on environmental sustainability. At Wasteco, we are committed to Making A Material Difference™ on the planet each and every day.
Wasteco's policy statement on environmental sustainability:
At Wasteco, we consider the protection of the environment to be a primary consideration in all of our business activities. We share the responsibility for managing natural resources effectively and efficiently and we recognize that this is essential for the long-term success of our business and preservation of our community.
Our Health & Safety Program promotes specific environmental training for all employees, and is designed to monitor the workplace for compliance with legislative requirements and attain best operating practices at all times.
To meet our environmental responsibilities Wasteco will:
- Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into our decision-making and activities.
- Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst our customers and suppliers.
- Implement appropriate training programs for our employees to raise awareness of environmental issues that may affect their work.
- Comply with applicable environmental legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as client specific stipulations regarding environmental protection.
- Reduce the use of all raw materials, energy and supplies.
- Reduce pollution, emissions and waste resulting from our company operations.
- Actively enhance our environmental performance by encouraging our employees to adopt environmental values.
- Work with industry associations, government, suppliers, customers and our local community on environmental issues.
- Allocate the resources necessary to fulfill our environmental commitments.
- Ensure that all our workers, subcontractors and visitors to our facilities abide by the established environmental procedures and policies.
- Develop and maintain appropriate emergency and hazard response programs where significant health, safety or environmental hazards exist.
- Communicate our environmental commitment to customers and the general public and encourage them to support it.
Trim Your Waste
Is your waste pulling its weight?
Wasteco understands that managing your waste stream is a team effort. Set your company on a course toward continuous improvement with our Trim Your Waste Program. Our program helps you make informed decisions about cutting costs, improving efficiency, and reducing your company’s carbon footprint. Your staff and shareholders can take pride in your contribution to a more sustainable society, knowing that you’re committed to Making a Material Difference™.
Our Trim Your Waste Program incorporates several elements, all of which can be tailored to your facility’s needs and interests.
- Start with a Waste Audit to learn where you’re already doing a great job and where you have opportunities to make improvements.
- Stay on track with a detailed Waste Reduction Work Plan to learn where to focus your waste reduction efforts and resources.
- Monitor and track your success for employee morale and shareholder confidence. A detailed and easy-to-read monthly or quarterly summary outlines the recycling and waste commodities removed from your facility and the consequent diversion rate.
- Customize the Trim Your Waste Program to meet your operating and reporting needs, through waste diversion reports, waste inspections, building walkthroughs, equipment surveys, and staff, tenant and janitorial training.
- Showcase your success with presentations, booth displays, signage, and special events such as Earth Month and Waste Reduction Week activities.
- Get certified. Our staff is trained to help you with BOMA BEST Practices Certification, RCO-Waste Diversion Certification Program, LEED and ISO 14000.
Wasteco has made a difference in southern Ontario communities since 1978. We believe it is vital to give back through a variety of ways including employee volunteering, sponsorships and/or donation of services. Below you will find few examples of our charitable ties.
- Children’s Aid Society
- Community Living Toronto’s “Community Rocks” Fundraiser
- Guelph-Wellington Women in Crisis
- Greater Toronto Apartment Association Charitable Foundation
- Hospital for Sick Children
- Kitchener Junior Rangers Minor Midget AAA Team
- Meta Foundation
- Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre
- Ontario Trucking Association Education Foundation
- Planet in Focus Film Festival
- The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation
- The Ride to Conquer Cancer®
- Second Harvest’s “Toronto Taste” Event
- Starlight Children’s Foundation Canada
- St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation
- Toronto Red Wings Midget Team
- Triple A Racing
- World Wildlife Fund’s “CN Tower Climb for Nature”
“Wasteco has been a great partner to work with for Second Harvest’s annual culinary event, Toronto Taste. Their team is dedicated to making sure our event goes off without a hitch and they always go above and beyond to ensure our needs are met. We here at Second Harvest rely on community partners such as Wasteco to help us deliver our mission to rescue and deliver fresh, surplus food to feed people experiencing hunger.”
Jennifer Chow, Special Events Manager - Second Harvest
“Wasteco has been a leading sponsor of St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation’s Fall Classic Golf Tournament. The annual tournament raises funds to support St. Joe’s most important priorities. We thank Wasteco for helping transform care for the more than 500,000 people who live in our west-end community.”
Karen Devine, Director of Marketing Communications – St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation